Vegan Avocado and Chickpea Spinach Wraps
Fresh, crunchy vegetables and a chickpea avocado mixture are wrapped up in a homemade spinach tortilla in this recipe for the perfect lunchtime wrap.
In addition to its stunning color, spinach makes these tortillas taste great. These wraps are fresh, crunchy, and a little bit spicy from the pickled jalapeños.
For the Spinach Wraps:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for baking
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups fresh spinach, packed tightly (about 60 grams)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoon water
For the Avocado Chickpea Filling:
- 1 13.5-ounce can cooked chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoon pickled jalapeños, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon pickling liquid from jalapeño jar
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely minced
A bundle of cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- A pinch of salt, if the chickpeas are unsalted
For the Wraps:
- Spinach tortillas (recipe above)
- Avocado and chickpea filling (recipe above)
- Carrots, julienned
- Red cabbage, thinly sliced
- Fresh spinach leaves
- Fresh cilantro
To Make the Spinach Wraps:
Combine flour, salt, and oil in a bowl. Mix until mixture becomes crumbly. Rinse spinach and dry the leaves.
Purée spinach with water using and immersion blender or a regular blender.
Pour spinach water into flour mixture. Knead the dough for 5 minutes. The dough should be smooth and pliable. If it’s crumbly add a splash of water, if it’s too sticky add some flour.
Mold the dough into ball and cover it with plastic wrap. Set the dough into the refrigerator while you do the other preparations, about 20 minutes.
When dough has rested, divide it to six equal portions. Mold portions into small balls. Roll each ball into a thin circle (about 7 inches in diameter).
Preheat a cast iron skillet. Cook the tortillas on a dry skillet, about 30 seconds per side. Put warm tortillas under a clean kitchen towel to keep them soft.
To Make the Chickpea Avocado Filling:
Mix all the ingredients together. Take about third of the mixture aside and purée it with an immersion blender. Add pureed mixture back to other ingredients and stir to combine.
To Make the Wraps:
Spread some avocado and chickpea filling in the middle of tortilla and top it with carrots, red cabbage, spinach, and cilantro.
Fold tortilla into roll and cut it half.
Total Calories: 1772 | Total Carbs: 250 g | Total Fat: 71 g | Total Protein: 40 g | Total Sodium: 2134 g | Total Sugar: 16 g
Love this delicious pick? For the BEST and BIGGEST collection of over 1000 delicious vegan recipes, including BONUS FREE guides on how to get started on the vegan lifestyle, check out The Family Comes First Vegan Recipe Bundle.