This Lentil Strudel is filled with a delicious filling of yellow lentils, cheese pumpkin, smoked tofu, tomatoes and lots of spices. Dab the puff pastry generously with some vegan butter, both for flavor and a golden and flaky crust. Sprinkled with black sesame seeds it is a stunner, for both tummy and eyes!
Luscious Vegan Lentil Strudel
1/2 cups yellow lentils
1 1/2 cups muscat squash
1/2 cups smoked tofu
1/2 cups tomatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cups vegan cream (or coconut milk)
1 generous pinch of sea salt, black pepper, curry and black sesame seeds
1 sheet puff pastry
2 tablespoon vegan butter
1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
1. Cook your lentils as instructed on the package, but only halfway through. They will finish cooking in the oven. If it says 30 minutes on your package, cook them for 15-20 minutes for example.
2. Preheat oven to 200°C. Dice your squash, tofu and tomatoes into cubes.
3. In a pan heat up the olive oil and sautée the squash and tofu for 5 minutes, then add the tomatoes as well. Sautée for another five minutes, then add the cream, spices and lentils to the filling. Set aside and let it cool off for 10 minutes.
4. Roll out your puff pastry and fill one side lengthwise with your filling, while leaving about 1,5 cm free edge. Fold the other side over and gently fold over the edges while pressing them together. Cut a few gaps into the top every few centimeters.
5. Melt the butter in a small pot and brush it onto the top of your strudel. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, then put it into the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
6. Let the strudel cool off for 10 minutes, then serve!
We are a team of nutritional experts and vegan activists, who work 24/7 to bring you accurate, well-researched information that will empower you to make the right choices. Whether you are looking for in-depth nutritional advice, latest stories, or a mouthwatering recipe - this is the place!