So, after the white sauce vegan lasagna everyone went nuts about, I totally got on the ‘creamy craziness’ vegan wave!
Have you had this? When you basically crave one meal (or type of meal), and you could eat JUST that for weeks?
I get the watermelon craziness every summer and the avocado-lemon craziness every spring. And oh gosh, in the colder months, there are all sorts of madnesses… usually starting with “cheesy-ness”, “creaminess”, ‘pumpkiness’, ‘crunchiness’ and so on.
Please, get me out of this misery, and tell me I’m not the only one!
Share your unique vegan food craziness with me!
After the huge lasagna success, I’ve decided to bring more creaminess on board, and I am giving you 2 versions of it!
One is an extra creamy one that takes a bit more time to prepare, but of course is richer and creamier. While the other one is super easy to make on busy workdays. It’s absolutely fun to watch, too! If you’ve never tried vegan mac and cheese before, you’ll become an expert in 5 mins or less!
This can totally be transformed into a gluten-free meal as well
I quit gluten about a year ago, but when I make these recipes with rice pasta, there’s almost no difference in taste. And if a recovering pizza and pasta addict is saying this – you need to believe them!
The creaminess in both recipes comes from potatoes (another one of my favorite, most soothing foods) as well as the cashews. Being the health-conscious person that I am, I would like to share a bit more about the potato.
I feel it has been wrongfully given its bad reputation for a high carb food, for which reason it has been avoided by the weight-conscious community. Still, I believe the potato is one of the absolutely best comfort foods as well as a very potent source of good carbs.
The Healthy Awesomeness Of This Recipe’s Potato Creaminess
Potatoes are rich in minerals and their mineral content is richer than many other vegetables. The potato tubers contain potassium (568 mg%), required for the normal functioning of the cardiovascular and neuro-muscular systems and for maintaining the water balance within the body (potassium contributes to the removal of excess fluid, i.e. helping to not get bloated).
It is important to include potatoes in your diet if you perform heavy physical exercise, accompanied by significant sweating. Potassium strengthens the arteries and in some alternative healing methods, an infusion from potato flowers is used to lower blood pressure and stimulate breathing. Potatoes can normalize the acid-alkaline balance in the body, too.
You can easily survive on potatoes only, for long periods of time, which shows the richness of their chemical composition. Potatoes are not high in calories at all! A large potato contains about 100 kcal, which is the same as a small apple, and orange or half of a grapefruit. No one considers these foods as high calorie ones, right?
Raw peeled and grated potatoes are used to heal cardiovascular diseases, high blood pressure, ulcer of the intestines and stomach, liver disease, hemorrhoids, heartburn, various edema, night pain in the stomach, and a few others.
Now, knowing how deliciously healthy potatoes are, you’ll enjoy the creamy sauce for this recipe even more!
Don’t forget to share with me how much enjoyed this!
Extra Creamy Vegan Mac And Cheese Version One
(Thanks to veganyumminess.com)
10 ounces dried macaroni (or about 2⅔ cups)
- 1 cup peeled/diced yellow potatoes (or russets)
- ¼ cup peeled/diced carrots
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup water (preferably use liquid from pot of boiled veggies)
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 pinch paprika
- Cook macaroni al dente, according to package instructions (usually requires boiling for 6-8 minutes in salted water), drain, and set aside.
- Bring several cups of water to boil in a small pot. Place chopped potatoes, carrots, and onion in the boiling water, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and soft enough to blend. Cooking time will vary slightly, based on how small you have chopped your veggies.
- When veggies are soft enough to blend, use a slotted spoon to remove them from cooking water, and place them in your blender. Add ¾ cup of that cooking water to your blender, along with your remaining ingredients.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce over your cooked macaroni noodles in a dish of your choice, taste for salt, and serve immediately.
- Or, place macaroni mixture in a baking dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs, and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes, or until crumbs are turning golden brown.
If you are not using a high-speed blender (like Vitamix of Blendtec) for this recipe, I recommend soaking your cashews for at least 30 minutes before attempting this recipe.
Busy Bee Vegan Mac And Cheese (Version 2)
Watch the video, sing along and enjoy!
[easy-youtube id=”ZCK6RZH2fgI” video_url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCK6RZH2fgI&feature=youtu.be”]
P.S. I recommend sprinkling this vegan cheese on top of both recipes for some extra enjoyment.