Yet, I still like to keep things simple, light, and low cal. Let’s face it – neither my hips need an extra layer of fat, nor my hectic schedule can afford an extra hour in the kitchen.
Who’s with me on this last one?
So, after the simple, sliceable cashew cheese recipe comes this
5 ingredient almond feta cheese that is thick, satisfying, and tastes like the real deal –
perfect for satisfying any cheese craving!
Almonds are one of the most popular and healthy nuts in the world. But recently nutritionists have discovered other beneficial properties that shoot them directly to the top. Together with apricot kernels, almonds can be an excellent protection against cancer, researchers said. They are rich in letril – a substance which has been found to have strong anti-cancer properties. Letril is also present in cherries, peaches and plums.
Almonds have a unique chemical composition. They contain essential fatty acids, unsaturated fats as well as valuable vitamins (B and E), and minerals – potassium, phosphorus, copper and iron. The consumption of sweet almonds helps improve the vision, and it is recommended for anemia, diabetes, asthma, ulcers and gastritis as well as insomnia, headaches, and seizures. Due to the high content of phosphorus, they are extremely healthy for those who need a lot of focus and concentration.
- 1.5 cups raw almonds
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic
- Lemon juice-this is what gives you the kick-be generous. [I used 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp]
- Salt-to taste
- 1.5 cups water
- Soak Almonds in 2 cups very hot water for 2 hours.
- Skin almonds.
- Add the almond kernels & water into a food processor. Make a smooth paste.
- Add the other ingredients to the food processor and process until smooth(if you need extra water-add 1 Tbsp at a time)
- Transfer to a colander lined with a cheesecloth and squeeze down starting from the open end.
- Now, wrap an elastic band on the open end (tight) and keep a container underneath to collect juices [The creamy cheese milk can be added to salads or to my cheesy hummus. I love it]
- Leave it overnight refrigerated.
- Next day you will find a big mass of almond cheese inside the cheese cloth.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- To shape them, you could transfer to a cling-wrapped bowl.
- Line a tray with baking paper and flip the bowl onto the tray. Carefully, remove bowl & cling wrap and you will see the cheese sit there on the tray
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove, Make some deep pits using toothpicks to ease cooking.
- Back into the oven, Bake the cheese until the cracks start to appear on the top of the cheese. (It took 30 minutes on a middle-tier oven rack)
- Remove from oven and there you are-with an awesome almond feta.
- Cut into cubes and use it as you do with Feta.
- Store in an airtight container (in a refrigerator). Tastes amazing even after a week